www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:31 pm 

From the Racing thread
"I unloaded the Falcon Friday for the TnT and when it came out of the trailer, fuel pressure looked good at 7 lbs. Made two laps through the pits to warm up and then the needle went nuts, bouncing all around. Fark.

Pulled the fuel filter and it did look like there was debris in the filter. Thought I'd check the regulator diaphragm - the cap screws holding the regulator together were barely hand tight. So I may have the pressure problem handled. Got a replacement QFT regulator kit coming anyway.
Friday, made two decent passes but the car didn't "feel" right. Acted fat, MPH off about .5 to 1. Float levels OK, thought maybe the power valve gasket might be leaking. Pulled the front bowl and could see some wet in the chamber so changed the gasket and put it back together. Noticed after that the front accell pump developed a small leak. Pulled it all off and replaced the diaphragm, change the block gasket. Drove it around, sounds OK. Drive up to the lanes, get waved in, do burnout. Roll up to stage - dies. Start-die. Start-die. Had to rupp-rupp it back out and over to the pit. Like it wouldn't run below 3000 or unless you're whipping the throttle. Pulled the 650 apart again, see nothing, clean, replace - same deal. It's late, so had to put the car in the trailer because of weather forecast and that was not fun. Pulled the carb off the car in the trailer and took the carb home.

Saturday morning I got the old 750 that was on the Mustang, refreshed it and went over the 650 again. I still don't see any problems. Get to the track about 10:30, put the 750 on and it start/runs OK. Rear pump diaphragm leaking. Note to self, do not buy any more Summit branded pump parts. OK, now all good. Back out, warm up. First time trial at 12. Stage, hit it - 80 light, car sits for a second and then goes. About .03 seconds by the 60' clock. MPH good, so at least that. Rain. Wait. Call up for 2nd time trial - rain, go back. Call, rain, go back. 2 PM get the 2nd. Car hits, misses a bit, off .02 in the 60'. I took a big bump after staging and had a .026 so I at least have a plan. Call to first round. Rain, go back. This goes on until 5 PM and we give up. Sunday will be double points, double fees, double payout. Everybody go to dinner.

Get there Sunday and start the car - it's sick. Almost can't get it out of the trailer. Manage to get it out, drive it some and get it warm. It will idle but doesn't seem to like anything between 1500 and 2000. At 3000+ it pops/grumbles in the exhaust - not loud, but it's ruff and you can hear distress. Not right. Put it in gear and at 1500 it starts to fade like no fuel, more throttle - fades more like a huge vacuum leak or no fuel, little more then it suddenly wings to 4 grand in an instant. So I can't stage and not even sure it'll run without hurting something. At that point I call it quits.

It's in the shop - don't have any idea. Will pull all the plugs, pull the covers, check valve action, run compression on all cylinders and go into the carb again. Something has gone off the rails, that's for sure. Just not sure what. Oh, and the alternator belt was squealing like hell every time you started the car. That I fixed with WD-40 LOL.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Where I am now -

Compression - 170~180 all cylinders
Timing - 38, as expected
plenty of fuel - after replacing the filter, no issues with fuel pressure on the track. 6.5~7 at idle.
Pulled covers - checked valve action - all looks good. Backs of intake valve are grey, like I'd expect for VP100 race fuel
Installed new E3 #105 plugs.

Rebuilt both carbs, changed every gasket, pump part, etc. Berryman's, blow dry, all Holley parts, new blue non-sticks, the works. Tried the 750DP with 4 corner idle first. Idle mix is about 3/4 turn open - had to open all another 3/4 to get it to run. Vacuum read around 14 at maybe 1300, about as expected. No funny stuff with the gauge. Open up throttle, at some point vacuum started to drop. Let go throttle, engine quit. Could repeat at will. But it would idle. As you open the throttle, it would get unstable until it died.

Put 650DP on there - fergetaboutit, would not even run. Start/die, Start/die. Opened up (2 corner) idle screws, still no go. Would not even run with more throttle.

So the 750 seems to be covering for some other issue as it will idle with a lot of idle fuel. Next guess is the intake gaskets. So what do I not have hanging on the wall? Yep. Summit order placed. Intake pulled. I didn't really see anything out of whack. It's a 2V Funnelweb intake, I may just put 2V gaskets on it instead of the 4V items and see what happens.

Any ideas welcome.

Last edited by Falcon67 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:47 pm 

Oooph.

If it's not a vacuum leak in the intake, I have no idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:58 am 

Gaskets came in, so I'll find out in a day or so. Flooring being replaced, so that's got us tied up every night putting things back after a room is done.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:55 pm 

No fix. Everything checks right, won't run. Put fuel it it and it starts, then quits. Can't hold throttle open, won't even light. Coil spec spot on, pickup spec good, plenty of fuel, pressure good, volume good, compression on #1 power stroke matches balancer, plugs fresh. Twisted distributor several degrees in both direction, no difference. Stumped right now.

I suppose it could be fighting the trans or converter but that seems kinds out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:40 pm 

MSD box shit the bed?
When the box in the better half's car went kaput, I chased it for quite awhile, then found out it also killed the magnetic pickup.
I chased the box in my dad's car too when it went bad. At this point, I would swap it out, or put in a non MSD fired distributor. And if it's already that way, then ignore everything I just said.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:52 pm 

It's Malloy 685 box and idiot let the spare go with the Mustang roller. All the functions work on it, but no good way to test it. Swapped the pickup wires and it acted like way retarded timing, which is correct. Wife suggested bad fuel, put in fresh 110 - no sale. I may have an old ignition box somewhere, not sure. With a little heat I can run it a bit at higher throttle and it sounds "ruff", like not hitting on all cylinders. Ignition not ruled out for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:50 pm 

Found old Mallory IIIA box from the way back. Smart boy at least used the same Weatherpack connectors so the hookup was easy. No sale, motor did same thing. I have an old 351C Duraspark somewhere, if I can find that I'll try a swap.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:06 pm 

Is it a Mallory distributor? I dont know anything about them other than I've seen a couple of buddies fight with them when the pickup goes bad.
Honestly, I'm just tossing out ideas that are probably way wrong.
It sounds ignition related to me, sort of. But usually ignition related, especially when it's the box, just gets worse the longer the car runs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:55 pm 

Falcon67

Sucks when our toys give us problems.

Not saying this is your problem but yours is acting a little weird like mine did back in 1998 when I thought I blew the engine up. Original 2v , 2Barrel Go to start it and nothing. Hold the gas peddle to the floor and it would run at an idle. Bought a referb 2 barrel and same shit. Im like well it has beaten on. Took engine out - tore down top end. Flipped engine over - pulled oil pump but forgot to pull the distributor (stock points). So pulled the distributor while up side down - low an behold the distributor gear came out separate from the distributor. So you mean to tell me this whole time it was just the roll pin that failed? Oh well I had the short block done anyways and its the 362 with the Aussie 2v heads I pulled out to put the current 359 in.

That's my story

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:31 pm 

Sounds like what mine did with a sheared distributor pin also.