www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun May 22, 2022 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:11 pm 

Figured I would start a new topic since I have touched on it a time or two in the epic novel about racing thread.
I've kicked around the idea in the recent past of selling the car and all my cleveland stuff, and that thought has grown loud and persistent now. It will be a package deal, I wont be separating anything. Someone will either buy all of it, or I will simply shove it off in to a corner on the property and let it all rot.
I'm burned out. I've been bracket racing since 1991. I bought this current car in October of 1999. The last probably 8, maybe even 9 years, to borrow a phrase from Roadkill, the car has never failed to fail. It has gotten to the point now where I honestly can not go to the track twice in a row without something breaking. I have wasted so much time, and so much money, just trying to keep the car running, that what little driving skills I had have degraded, and you cant get better when all your energy is spent just trying to keep the car running. And I'm tired of it.
So, my thought is, the car as it sits, and ALL my cleveland and race junk. That includes another powerglide that has some good parts in a stock case, a JW bell, a C4 with a pro brake and some good parts in it as well as an aftermarket aluminum driveshaft with a billet yoke that goes with it, a good 8" converter for it, at least 2 glide converters, my 393C shortblock, a stock rod shortblock, maybe 5-8 roller cams, 5-7 sets of heads, a couple of stock cranks, a couple sets of Crower rockers, stock rods, an offset ground 3.7 stroke cast cleveland crank, a new set of SRP pistons for a 393, a couple of aluminum water pumps, a couple of intakes one of which is a Strip Domi with the toilet set up, a couple of blocks (maybe 3?) and who knows what all else is there. I'm thinking somewhere around 17.5k, maybe a touch more, I just dont know, for the whole mess. The car probably (once again, I dont know) isnt worth that much alone, but there is a whole trailer load of parts that will go with it. And there are good parts on the car. It seems I'm just a bad mechanic with bad luck and shit breaks on me all the time.
So there it is in writing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:25 am 

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying your hobby/toy

I would love to buy your car but I have no place to put everything that comes with it.

I will be buried in my Cougar. My dad gave it to me so I have a strong attachment to it. Told my wife if I die before her to take the drivetrain out and either build another car with it or let someone close build with it and find some place where no one can bother me while I sleep in my ride. They say you can not take anything with you when you die but there will just have to be an exception :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:15 am 

My 70 Mustang was given to me by my grandparents as a graduation gift in 1988. They are no longer with us, so I have the same feelings about that car as you do your Cougar. But my 70 is just sitting and rotting away because I waste all my time and money trying to keep the racecar running. I really want to get my 70 back on the road, but there is no way that will happen while the racecar continually eats all available time and funds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:51 am 

Not at that point, but certainly feel the same pains and do have to work through the "why do I keep hitting my head against this wall" thing more often. Right now house is tore up with new flooring going in, so no time to work on a broke race car. No points this weekend, so not that big a deal. But if I put those intake gaskets on and it still doesn't run right - could be a couple of weeks before I can spend the time to change out the motor. I'll run the truck in Street just to have something to do.

Times are good when they run right. It wears on you quick when things seem to break every time or every other time you go out. Everything you said - not running and not being able to just focus on drive results in loss of skill, money down what seems to be a dry hole, fix one thing and then it's something else, etc. The skill is a big thing because the well oiled people have stuff that repeats like a Xerox copier. If you're worried about if your junk is going to make a full pass this round, you're just taking up space in the lanes.

The car will never go, too attached to that. If the new motor doesn't help the dragster go rounds, then it may be on the chopping block. For what's in that thing we could have a luxury RV trailer LOL. Well, we already have one, just has extra space for a race car.

And just for fun - last night was using the big shop vac to clean up after the contractor ground the thin set off the floors. After about 10 minutes working over the living room and the fireplace, vac made a funny noise...then caught fire. So the house smells like grout dust and burned electrical. Fun.