www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HP
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:32 pm 

Hello Guys
How much HP will stock 351c with hard block hold?
Thanks
Rich

Post subject: Re: HP
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:01 am 

At least 620 with a stock stroke, to 8500 rpm. I've seen some 700 hp factory block pieces too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:23 pm 

I guess it depends on how long you want it to hold the HP :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:13 pm 

A happy block with a happy tune will hold a lot, but you can kill the block on a stock engine with a bad tune, as the power goes up the coefficient multiplies exponentially. 800+ with all the stars in alignment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:07 pm 

SBFgrudge wrote:
A happy block with a happy tune will hold a lot, but you can kill the block on a stock engine with a bad tune, as the power goes up the coefficient multiplies exponentially. 800+ with all the stars in alignment.

Way back in the day :roll: the Glidden, Schartman, Nicholson 351C Pro Stock engines were doing approx. 725-750 hp. RPM was dependent on who was closest at the finish line (no kidding, maybe 8,500 or so). Kaase mentioned this way back then to my bro' and later, a few mags like Drag Racing Illustrated and Super Stock. I don't think they had even hard-blocked all the way up IIRC. Most races were decided by less than .001-.003 e.t. and leaving first was usually the winner. But, these were at the time all-out state-of-the-then-art racing engines.

My understanding from pals that ran a quite competitive Pro Stock Pinto (Pabst Blue Ribbon 351C car out of Wayne Gapp's shop) is that the short block was pretty expendable (heads, intake were the 'thing') as NHRA was changing the weight breaks so damned fast that the top teams had to invest in 320 CID - 340 or so CID SBF engines to keep competitive with the SBC Chevvies and de-stroked Hemi Dodges.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm 

machoneman wrote:
SBFgrudge wrote:

Way back in the day :roll: the Glidden, Schartman, Nicholson 351C Pro Stock engines were doing approx. 725-750 hp. RPM was dependent on who was closest at the finish line (no kidding, maybe 8,500 or so). Kaase mentioned this way back then to my bro' and later, a few mags like Drag Racing Illustrated and Super Stock. I don't think they had even hard-blocked all the way up IIRC. Most races were decided by less than .001-.003 e.t. and leaving first was usually the winner. But, these were at the time all-out state-of-the-then-art racing engines.

My understanding from pals that ran a quite competitive Pro Stock Pinto (Pabst Blue Ribbon 351C car out of Wayne Gapp's shop) is that the short block was pretty expendable (heads, intake were the 'thing') as NHRA was changing the weight breaks so damned fast that the top teams had to invest in 320 CID - 340 or so CID SBF engines to keep competitive with the SBC Chevvies and de-stroked Hemi Dodges.

Not to hijack the thread, but thanks for sharing, information like this from the true original innovators of the sport cannot be told enough times they deserve to be remembered and respected, and always bring a smile to my face. To dissect the major manufacturers engineering, and re-engineer the sum of the parts is epic.
Today, as I am guessing the OP's question is relative to, is largely about power adders and the blocks ability to hold the power they are capable of...my short answer is, the only way to tell for sure is if you are willing to destroy the block and/or some or all of the parts in order to find the answer, you will either like or dislike the answer. 600-650 is a reasonable number but if you aren't worried about having to put down a lame horse at the end of the race let it run all out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:56 am 

Two things:

-in Ford's own catalogs, at least the last ones I purchased a few years ago, most bare block legends stated the actual hp limits. I didn't pull out a cat today but clearly remember that about 750 hp was the upper limit for racing blocks. These were NOT old OEM C blocks from the 1970's but still it's a point of comparison.

-Ken Veney long ago put together a killer SBF with 351C Pro Stock engine parts from Roush Racing, a homemade blower intake and a used R.E.D. alky dragster that slayed all the Hemi-engined dragsters in that Top Alcohol dragster (TAD) class. He was turning IIRC 6.60-6.70 e.t.'s at 220+ mph. That block was hard-blocked all the way up and, based on dream wheel calculations and car weight, had to be doing 1,175-1,200 hp.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/best-19 ... tario-jpg/

Some do run various engine types, not just Ford, with totally filled blocks. Point is, given a few other precautions like no detonation (ever) an oil cooler and a few other things, one could easily exceed the 650-750 hp level many agree to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:00 pm 

Thanks guys
Mine is a 408 8/71 supercharger 2-750 quick fuel carbs 10 lbs boost
not dyno but I believe north of 750 hp asi went 133 mph in the 1/4 in a 3800# ranchero with clutch slipping in high gear
I
have about 30 runs on it and maybe 500 street miles will sleeve it and hard block
thanks again
RIH