www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Radials or slicks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:02 pm 

I need to order some tires. I've got 15x8's and 295/50/15 cooper cobras on it now. Limited to 11-12" tread width at the moment. Car has 4.57s detroit tru track, stock springs with caltracs and weighs 3650 with me in it. 511hp, c6 trans with 4500 stall converter. 1/8th mile bracket race only. Radials or slicks? 26" or 28"? This is my first go at the strip.

Post subject: Re: Radials or slicks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:39 pm 

I have always liked the Hoosier Quick Time Pros. Im now running M/T ET Streets 26x10.5x15 (got a great deal at swap meet). If you are gonna drive it alot on the street, I would suggest the Hoosiers between these two. The M/T's side walls are alot looser. The local Ford guy here named Manny at http://www.hppmotorsports.com/main/ usually only run drag radials. His black 2011 Stang is all stock except the superharger he put on&exhaust. Trans,suspension,rear end and even the wheels are all stock and this video will show u what radials can do http://youtu.be/hkzjBxvoI2w ---this is one of his other cars-this one has drag radials also but I dont know what size they are-car runs high 6-low 7's in quarter mile http://youtu.be/LojrGy_huRI
What im getting at is, it just depends on what u want as far as look, feel and how you want to drive the car. As you can see Drag radials can move a car! Drag Radials are way more stable at higher speeds too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 am 

M/T 28 x 10.5 Slicks, they last a long time and work well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 pm 

Matt, that turbo mod motor car is unbelievable! Looks like radials can really put power down.

Dfree, can a guy run those without tubes?

I guess what I'm looking for is consistency. This is my first season so I don't really know how my suspension is going to hook. So if one or the other is easier to get dialed in thats probably what I'll end up with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 pm 

Yes you can run them without tubes, Thats typicaly my choice.

Run Nitrogen if you can, rather than just compressed air.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am 

Yes, his cars fly. He is by far #1 or #2 at tuning computer cars here in Texas. Even Vic Edelbrock had him do the supercharger install & video & tune for the Edelbrock supercharger for the 2012 camaro at the Gay Lord Texan resort. Alot of chevy shops/tuners pretty pissed off Vic picked a FORD guy :lol: Its about even between him and Mike Murillo as far as tuning goes. If no one has heard of Mike, this is his newest creation http://youtu.be/CxpzzcbfQLs
Anyways, sience those videos were taken,the 5.0 now runs a 6.1@118mph in the 1/8 mile whitch calculates to bout a 9.5 1/4 mile. His 1/8 mile time on the 9.91@138 was a 6.5. Thats his daily driver he actually drives every where. The Blue Cobra with the 88mm turbo has gone 4.98@146 1/8mile. I dont think he has taken it to the 1/4mile yet. This car has 275x60x15 drag radials in rear.
So, there you go drag radials can do what u want them to. I personally love the looks of slicks more but if drag radials were the same price as slicks, i would much rather run them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm 

So I'm a little late to the game. If you are planning on seriously bracket racing the car, I wouldnt give a thought to radials. Radials work well on a well prepped track, but most "normal" bracket race tracks are usually lucky if they are "decent". Another down side to drag radials, and radial slicks is, once they slip, they dont recover. A normal wrinkle wall slick will recover. I have a lot of buddies that run Stock eliminator in IHRA, and when they go to a divisional or national event, they will run drag radials because they are a tad quicker. But when they run a normal bracket race, they almost always put a wrinkle wall tire on the car just for consistency.
Personally, if it was my car, I would put a 28x10 Hoosier stiff sidewall tire on the car, AND I would put tubes in them to help stiffen them even more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:36 pm 

Thanks KV,

I'll be running at Eddyville first and maybe cordova if i can. Been to both but never raced so not sure on track prep.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:20 pm 

15 yrs ago Eddyville was a hookin SOB unless it was blazing hot, then there's only so much any track can do to make it work. I havent ran there since 2002 though, so I cant comment on it's current state from personal experience. I have several racers from there on my facebook page, and they all still claim it works as good as it always has. Cordova used to be pretty good, but when the sun goes down with it being that close to the river, it would go thru a short spell when it would get slick, but then come back around. Granted, that was also 15 yrs ago, so it may have changed by now.
One thing about Eddyville, like most race tracks, there are a lot of good folks there that are willing to help out a new guy.

Attachments:
120.jpg [151.52 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:56 pm 

That is good to hear! Nobody in my family races so I need all the help I can get. I sure hope I can get a picture like that someday. Thanks KV.