www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:14 pm 

Rob, the front bearing goes flush.

A .105" wall 5/16" pushrod would be plenty. No real need to restrict if you're using Morel lifters, which I believe Lunati uses.

I would use a Melling standard volume, standard pressure pump. M84A.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:17 pm 

Cheers Brent, your expertise is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:46 pm 

XAFALCON wrote:
Hey guys,

So just to recap, how far in for Meyer #1 cam bearing? Level with chamfer on my block or a specific measurement preferred?

Also I need to replace pushrods to suit new hyd roller.
Option 1, 5/16 with .83 wall and 0.80" oil hole one end, 0.040" on the other to restrict oil?
Option 2, 5/16 .110" wall and 0.100" oil holes both ends?
Engine will only be spinning to 6200 max probably, so apart from proper bearing clearances which I have jotted down and a standard oil pump, nothing else really needs doing?
Melling or sealed power oil pump?

Apologies for all the questions but just want to make sure things are done right.

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi Rob, onnthe front cam bearing my methid is look at the chamfer on the block ID and bearing OD, i want the bearing in far enough to have full support from the block ID to the bearing OD, of course adequate oil feed hole exposure is also required. Also look at the cam you will use and the chamfer on the front journal, i want all machined surfaces to have full support, if i have all this i dont care where the bearing sits in relation to the face of the block of course as long as its not proud of the block!

Pushrods, go for the thicker wall variant. A .040" hole does not do a lot of restricting as far as this area is concerned. The lifter should be metering the oil, not the pushrod IMO.
What lifters will you use?

Oil pump, either brand is fine. Just strip it, check clearances, check for burrs and machining leftovers! Give it a deburr if you like. Dont use a gasket between the pump and the block, this just compresses the gasket at the bolt area putting uneven load/stress on the pump flange. Flat surfaces and a smear of non hardening sealant is all you need.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:50 pm 

Hi Craig,

Appreciate your input!
Your bearing installation method sounds like solid advice.
I was hoping to use the thick wall Crow pushrods with the extra lift, just added insurance I reckon with only 5/16 diameter. Plus I'm heading over the ditch to Brissy in a cpl weeks so can bring them back to NZ with me.
Brent just mentioned that Lunati generally use Morel lifters and they should meter the oil just fine.

I will strip the oil pump as well, as you suggested.

Cheers,

Rob.

Last edited by XAFALCON on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 pm 

XAFALCON wrote:
Hi Craig,

Appreciate your input!
Your bearing installation method sounds like solid advice.
I was hoping to use the thick wall Crow pushrods with the extra lift, just added insurance I reckon with only 5/16 diameter. Plus I'm heading over the ditch to Brissy in a cpl weeks so can bring them back to NZ with me.
Chris just mentioned that Lunati generally use Morel lifters and they should meter the oil just fine.

I will strip the oil pump as well, as you suggested.

Cheers,

Rob.

Ah cool, yes those lifters will be fine.
Have you got rockers , assembled heads etc yet so you can check rocker geo and wether you need 210* end pushrods?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:08 am 

The engine is still in the car, not pulling it out for another cpl of weeks till all the parts are here, Tim Meyer cam bearings just arrived this arvo, just waiting on cam now, which is in my mates container waiting to be customs cleared and unloaded.
I'm replacing the no name brand aluminium roller rockers with some comp cams ultra pro xd chromoly items. I currently have 210 degree on one end style pushrods but not sure what the new ones will require, will sort the geo and get the correct ones tho...

Cheers,

Rob.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:21 am 

Beauty, sounds good mate. Let the fun begin!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:09 am 

Make sure you check pushrod to rocker arm body clearance at full lift with those rockers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:13 pm 

Ok will do, thanks Brent.
Hopefully with a 210 degree end they will clear ok.
Just unpacked the Meyer bearings, I see the instructions call for #1 to go flush with block as you say.

Cheers,

Rob.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm 

XAFALCON wrote:
Ok will do, thanks Brent.
Hopefully with a 210 degree end they will clear ok.
Just unpacked the Meyer bearings, I see the instructions call for #1 to go flush with block as you say.

Cheers,

Rob.

Hey Rob, the 210* end is more about clearance right up at the pushrod tip, it makes sure the pushrid cup is not forcing the pushrod tip out of the cup, if its going to bind there its right up at the tip in the area where a traditional welded bal end pushrod has a 'natural undercut' where the balls radius meets the pushrod tube.
The pushrod to body clearance Brent mentioned can occur along the straight area of pushrod typically anywhere from .250" to .750" below the ball.

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next