www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Oil Restriction ?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:02 am 

This is all a waste of time in an engine that's built with the proper clearances. Remember that the clearance in the bearing is what determines how much oil flows through the bearing NOT the size of the passage that's feeding the bearing as long as that passage is adequately sized. It wouldn't matter if number 1 was fed by a 5/16 hole or a 1 inch diameter hole it wouldn't flow any more or less oil.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 am 

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your input, just went back through this topic and the one Brent posted on oiling mods, the general consensus seems to be just the installation of Tims cam bearings and proper bearing clearances with a standard pump, so I'll just roll with that I think.
I won't be spinning it much over 6200rpm anyway.
I have a larger capacity sump already for extra insurance as well.

Cheers,

Rob.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:17 am 

XAFALCON wrote:
Hey Dave,

Thanks for your input, just went back through this topic and the one Brent posted on oiling mods, the general consensus seems to be just the installation of Tims cam bearings and proper bearing clearances with a standard pump, so I'll just roll with that I think.
I won't be spinning it much over 6200rpm anyway.
I have a larger capacity sump already for extra insurance as well.

Cheers,

Rob.

I think that's a great approach. These engines already have a large oil pump(uses the same rotors as the pump used in the 460) so if set up properly they have no problems maintaining oil pressure. In that type of application I normally shoot for .002-.0025 clearances.

With a roller cam I usually bush the right side lifter bores and feed them with a .020 hole. Then cut back the other side with about a .062 restrictor to control the oil that leaks from the lifter bores. With this done even a stock pump provides almost excessive oil volume as well as pressure to the engine.