www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 107  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:35 pm 

Haha - Sterling has meters on the fuel station pumps so that ain't happening. Sunoco is around $180/bbl here. Track sells VP M1. VP 110 is $9.50/gal, around $450/drum from Sunoco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:54 am 

They have one of those old meters he has to reset every time before he pumps fuel. He then writes down how much he pumped and how much money he got paid in a log book. Last time I was there I told the guy running the pumps (it was a different guy) that I wanted ten gallons. When he reset his meter he didnt get it zeroed out correctly. Both jugs were plumb full, and I mean clear to the top. But because his meter only said just over 9 gallons, he only charged me for 9 gallons. I told him that was wrong, but he pointed to the meter and said it only shows 9 gallons. I wasnt going to argue any more. I tried to be honest. LOL
110 is 10 bucks a gallon there. I think 112 is 14 bucks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:28 am 

Rained out today.
Now to decide if I want to wait until Halloween weekend or find someplace that will be farther away to go before then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:31 am 

I decided I'm not going anywhere this weekend.
I had not originally planned on going to this race, and given the amount of money I've spent lately on dumb crap, like trying to get my Lightning to run correctly, plus the fact I havent been to this track in 15+ years and it's 2 hours from home, I decided staying home and trying to get some yard work done was the best plan. Plus I need to get my Lightning cleaned up so I can try to sell it, and I want to fool around with my 393C some more. I stuck a cam in it last week and was going to check V/P clearance, and couldnt find the bottom timing gear. That's what happens when I clean up my storage building and re-arrange stuff. So I ordered a new timing set for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:49 am 

Those lightnings are bringing some good coin.

All used cars in general are valuable now, but any specialty vehicles have almost doubled in the last 5-10 years. I looked at an 01 svt cobra with 160k miles a few weeks back. The thing was rusty, had a throwout bearing rattle, and smoked bad on startup, and the guy wanted 10 grand for it. He sold it within the week, whereas I didn't even make an offer because I didn't want to insult him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:10 am 

Yes they are, but they arent in the same shape as mine. LOL
Mine is not in great shape, I would say average to below average. It was used as a daily driver for a long time so it has quite a few miles on it, it spent the first ten years of it's life in a state that used a lot of salt in the winter, and it has been used a truck which means it's had stuff banged around in the bed and just generally not treated very nice. But I do think it's probably worth more than what I had first thought, so that's something. That's all dependent on whether I can get it running right again or not.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:48 am 

kv racing wrote:
So I ordered a new timing set for it.

And of course I ordered the wrong set. I ordered the one with the gear for the aftermarket W style crank, and it's wrong.
I tell ya, I should have built a 408W with AFR heads ten years ago and been done with all this cleveland stuff. I would have saved money and ran faster than what it does now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:51 pm 

Ha! Had similar thoughts.

Gave up on the alchy carb. Got one pass, 1.68 60' with stumble. 7.48 @ 90. Went up to .070 (from .067) and worse and car wouldn't run for shit. Said "F IT" rather loudly and put the gas carb back on. One kinda clean up pass, not much hook. One more for the night with a good burnout and it went 7.53 @ 88. Don't remember the 60' and the ticket got lost in the washer dammit. Had to be in the 1.65 range. We hosted a diesel truck race this weekend, with a bunch of them Friday with the street cars so starting line was about junk. If it wasn't for my DRs I don't think it would have hooked even a little. Grandma had to run the track computer this weekend so I was on picture duty. Came home smelling like diesel. The outlaw people are no BS - last pass in Outlaw was a 5.43 @ 132 MPH

Then, the dryer blew a breaker and still trying to fix that. !@#$%$@!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:37 am 

kv racing wrote:
kv racing wrote:
So I ordered a new timing set for it.

And of course I ordered the wrong set. I ordered the one with the gear for the aftermarket W style crank, and it's wrong.
I tell ya, I should have built a 408W with AFR heads ten years ago and been done with all this cleveland stuff. I would have saved money and ran faster than what it does now.

kv racing I feel ya man. That's why I said unless a company or TMyer or someone else can make an aftermarket Cleveland block that's affordable and as strong as a Dart then I will have no choice but to join the W block club. That is unless I dont go big block instead. The thing about still running a true Cleveland is the reaction some get when they know you still run that old "boat anchor" stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:26 am 

Yeah, some of those diesel trucks are freakin crazy the amount of power they make.

I did pull the bottom gear off a Cloyes set I had on the stock rod motor (shortblock was still together) and used it to check the valve to piston clearance. I didnt use a head gasket, and set it at zero lash. I stuck the old Crower cam in that I used to run in the 377 until Brent ground me the killer cam I am running now. The exhaust had almost .200 clearance (without a gasket or lash), it was kind of stupid actually. The intake was a different story. It still wasn't terrible at .060. Add .040 for the gasket, another .020 for lash, subtract .010 or so for aluminum rod growth, and it's probably still an honest .090 -.100. And that's using those 4v heads I bought several years ago that turned out to be a basket case. They've been cut within a fraction of their lives, so the chambers are probably 56 ccs or so, give or take a couple. That will work good with the flat tops.

Looks like I wont be running again until Halloween, then I'll probably double the car up and run two classes. Then three weekends in November and we're done for the year and the 377 is going to come out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 107  Next