www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2v cleveland intake
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:33 pm 

whats the best intake manifold for a 2v headed cleveland that will still fit under a 69 mach 1 hood? non shaker. i got a performer lb on there now with a 1 inch spacer. it just feels like it goes flat around 5000 rpm.

Post subject: Re: 2v cleveland intake
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:38 am 

Performer RPM Air Gap should fit.

It may be going flat though, due to the cylinder heads, or due to the camshaft.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:13 am 

It probably is going flat. I ran a performer on my 2v headed street car (mild motor) years ago. Swapped it out for an xcellorator and it picked up half a second in the quarter with no other changes. My opinion is the performer for 2v heads is one of the worst aftermarket intakes out there for a cleveland.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 am 

Quote:
Swapped it out for an xcellorator and it picked up half a second in the quarter with no other changes. My opinion is the performer for 2v heads is one of the worst aftermarket intakes out there for a cleveland.

Same for me as what kv racing said. In my opinion the performer 2v is only good for weight savings but not actual performance (out of the box) I put the Weiand 7516 intake on in place of the performer and a night and day deference. Don't worry about the Weiand being a single plane either, it has plenty of lower rpm. Its not much taller either. I ran a 1" spacer with a 14" air cleaner and had no hood clearance issues with my 70 Cougar. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-7516

Question is, what cam and carb do you have?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:40 am 

I agree that intake is a turd. LOL

However, valve springs could be doing away, camshaft could be too small, etc. I'd have to see the rest of the specs before I'd point my finger at something particular.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:57 am 

bought the car a few years back. its a 69 mach 1 with a 2v cleveland. c6 trans with a 3500 stall, 9 inch rear with i believe to be about 3.50 gears. going by what he said about the engine its stock stroke. the heads he said he sent off and had ported and had 4v size valves installed. performer lb intake with 1" spacer. long tube headers. 750 vac sec carb. the cam he said was a custom cam from someone down south. kentucky or tennesse. i don't know any specs on it or anything but its a pretty radical cam. its got harland sharp roller rockers and the crane conversion kit. i put a camera down through the spark plug hole and its got flat top pistons and if i remember right .20 over.

in first gear anything over say 1/4 throttle and your smoking the tires. you can go say 10 to 15 mph and give it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and its a quick first, second and third burnout. which is pretty fun. lol but no traction whatsoever. once you get the car up and moving it just feels like it quits pulling higher in the rpm.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:31 am 

I’m in KY and a lot of guys are running my cams.

Got the specs?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:43 am 

It could have come from you then. Where at in ky are you? When I bought the car he said he had the cam card somewhere but he couldn’t find it. So no I don’t have any specs on it. You ever sell a cam to a guy in Kokomo Indiana named ed? You mark your cams in any way where I could tell if I ever tore it apart?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:52 am 

I’m near louisville.

I sell a lot of cams and names are getting away from me as I get older.

I have Comp and Bullet grind my cams, the lobes are generally scribed on the rear of the core.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:03 pm 

mach_1_guy2009 wrote:
bought the car a few years back. its a 69 mach 1 with a 2v cleveland. c6 trans with a 3500 stall, 9 inch rear with i believe to be about 3.50 gears. going by what he said about the engine its stock stroke. the heads he said he sent off and had ported and had 4v size valves installed. performer lb intake with 1" spacer. long tube headers. 750 vac sec carb. the cam he said was a custom cam from someone down south. kentucky or tennesse. i don't know any specs on it or anything but its a pretty radical cam. its got harland sharp roller rockers and the crane conversion kit. i put a camera down through the spark plug hole and its got flat top pistons and if i remember right .20 over.

in first gear anything over say 1/4 throttle and your smoking the tires. you can go say 10 to 15 mph and give it about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and its a quick first, second and third burnout. which is pretty fun. lol but no traction whatsoever. once you get the car up and moving it just feels like it quits pulling higher in the rpm.

That thing is begging for a better intake. Look around and see if you can find a used single plane anything for 2v heads. LOL
The motor I gave the example of the big change was no where near built that much and still had a massive improvement when I swapped intakes.