www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:02 am 

I can report that I got my s##t together this weekend. I found the staging ritual that let me work with the box. Cut Super Pro down to 7 cars on Saturday and down to 4 on Sunday. Got to play "spoiler" as out two Super Pro points leaders were tied going into the 4th round, with the lady driver already out. I drew the guy and pretty sure he handed the stripe back .004. He was 5.63 on a 5.60, I was 5.44 on a 5.42 and I only had .002 on him from the start (.017 light vs his .019). He maybe not my friend for a while! Earned a bye both days - Saturday with a .0002 light and Sunday with a .0023. Lost in the semis Sunday with a -.002 leaving first. Bummer since the other guy went -.004. Car was a nut case on Sunday - 5.46 on a 5.42, 5.42 on a 5.46, 5.40 on a 5.42, then 5.42, .421, .442, .447, .447 (red dammit). I think most of that was track because 60' would be 1.21 with the occasional 1.23 but the 330 would go from 3.50 to 3.47 in a blink, same MPH and such. I don't know what the track temp was, but clear sky and 100F air temp, 5200 DA about 2 PM - it was hot. I also found that going from 6.8 lbs to 7.5 lbs in the tire made a huge difference in how the car drove. Last run Sunday was about 4 PM and went through the MPH box with the tail playing a bit of hop scotch. We have a bump in that lane and if it gets hot and the top end fades any, a hard tail will tell you it doesn't care for it. Noting that I put the box in on 8/17 and this is the first real race with it - paid $50 on Saturday and made $100 on Sunday, pretty dang happy right now. Sad thing is we have to miss the Bracket Finals in Dallas this week because of work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:35 pm 

Kinda sounds like a track issue on Sunday to me and not a car issue.

My new carb showed up today. Now to get the new brake kit here and maybe I'll be able to actually run my car again. The carb sure looks nice. My "home track" asked me if I wanted to go to the bracket finals although I never officially entered the points program. I'm going to have to pass on it. The finals are in Maryland this year, and I dont have a lot of desire to drive 4 and a half hours to run in a race like that when my season has been so lousy. It's one thing to tear crap up while 45 minutes from home, it's totally another to tear it up 4 hours away in another state.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:36 am 

Ah, where's you spirit of adventure? LOL - I get it. Here, we get people from New Mexico, Lubbock, Amarillo, DFW, sometimes San Antonio - lots of 3~6 hr pulls. And never leave the state. It's 3+ hours from here just to Penwell ( west of Midland - Caprock Motorplex), same to Denton, likely 4 to Xtreme, etc.

Glad you got your parts - hope that puts your junk in a good mood so you can drive a while and not have to jack with it.

After this weekend, I'd have no trouble running on the team. I was concerned about going that distance and not having an impact. Still, the PITA about the Div 4 stuff is doing a lot of nothing. TnT on Thursday from 1-6 - so best leave out early because it's 230 miles @ 64 MPH plus two fuel stops, there is a line to get in the gate and once you get parked it takes sometimes an hour in line to get your credentials. Then Friday you get two time trials and unless you're in the Race of Champions, you're done for the day. Saturday is the race. If I took 20 gallons of fuel I'd easy bring home 5 even if I won the race LOL. Sunday is travel or stay for a big gamblers. We would have left out Sunday ASAP early because the Sunday afternoon pull across DFW on I-20 is nerve wracking. Picture the climatic battle scene in Star Wars where the fighters are attacking and buzzing all around the big slow moving battle cruisers - and you're the battle cruiser. 2 years ago we ran over a bicycle laying in the 3rd lane, no way to move over. Didn't lose a tire thank goodness.

But - I've got technology that I'm responsible for going into a new building and I'm having serious vendor issues with part of it. If those had been resolved last Thursday, we'd be loading tomorrow. Bummer. That and now I've got a tooth that needs attention on Thursday, thanks a lot !@#$#.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:21 pm 

Falcon67

I just talked to a racing buddy last night. He said one of his buddy said the Denton track is becoming crap now. His car runs 4.80 and almost put it into the wall cause they would not prep it. Apparently they only want to prep it for big events now. I guess Xtreame is putting a dent in their wallet. Idiots....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:22 pm 

We're pretty spoiled with how many tracks we have in less than 3 hours of us.
I've never been to Bud's Creek, but I've been thru Richmond towing a trailer a couple of times, and it's not a lot of fun.
Besides the length of the tow, and how shitty my year has gone, I never budgeted for a weekend away from home like that. At least 3 nights, if not 4, in a hotel, eating out, getting there, entry fee for 2 gambler's races, plus my IHRA membership has lapsed so I would need to renew it. That's a lot to try and coordinate plus juggle finances to get done in a short period of time.

In other news, it sounds like my brake kit either shipped today, or will ship tomorrow. I doubt I will have it by the weekend though. But I should have it in time to be ready to go the following weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:04 am 

nova467spanker wrote:
Falcon67

I just talked to a racing buddy last night. He said one of his buddy said the Denton track is becoming crap now. His car runs 4.80 and almost put it into the wall cause they would not prep it. Apparently they only want to prep it for big events now. I guess Xtreame is putting a dent in their wallet. Idiots....

No prep means what it says - they may drag the track a bunch but no spray. Better check with the starter or manager before a run to see what's down. We prep the track on Friday but only update the starting line because of all the street cars and trucks. We are NOT involved in the no prep stuff. Want none of that here.

Also, they have changed how we prep and we are getting good feedback on how the track works. Old manager (gone now) kinda left the top end to fend for its self.
Sterling (track owner) build a new spray bar setup that does a whole lane at one pass with the sprayers real close to the surface so not to waste the prep. Then it's drug several times. In the heat, starting line needs the occasional misting but other than that, is good. They scraped it about a month ago, sprayed and then drug it every day several time for an entire week. The next race after that, 60's were talked about nicely. And the spray bar setup saves a huge amount of expensive VHT. Like 800~900/drum I think.

Quote:
Besides the length of the tow, and how shitty my year has gone, I never budgeted for a weekend away from home like that. At least 3 nights, if not 4, in a hotel, eating out, getting there, entry fee for 2 gambler's races, plus my IHRA membership has lapsed so I would need to renew it. That's a lot to try and coordinate plus juggle finances to get done in a short period of time.

Yea, it adds up quick. Now days for us with the bath package, we stay on site. So counting our $100 entry fee (me + crew) it'd only be truck/genny fuel and food. And this year, they are having a banquet after the race Saturday so we'd only need Thursday, Friday and Sunday breakfast for food. Figure $180~200 for gas and I already have methanol in the shed. Could have been a pretty cheap date. AND - I got the map yesterday and we're parked just inside the gate to the left. Quick in/out of the track and direct shot at the staging lanes for a call. Dammit.

We're BCRW, track is at bottom of pic, racer entrance to Motorplex on left side. Big national even track, shitty little access road to gate LOL. Where Alien City is parked - like being parked on the moon. Ruff and a loooong way from anything. You can figure it's a 1/4 mile from their parking spot to the bathrooms behind the pit side bleachers. The little set of bleachers off by themselves is the finish line (1000~1320') bleachers. Good place to sit on national event Friday to watch people blow their junk up going through the lights. The top alcohol crews like hang down there when fuel is running night qualifying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:46 pm 

Brake kit is supposed to be here Monday. I figured I should at least have the old stuff off so all I have to do is put the new on. Plus I have/had one rear wheel bearing that leaks a little. I think the O ring isnt sealed very good. I'm gonna put a presidential 44 solution on it and see if that cures it. I figure if it doesnt, it will just leak like it has been.
I had bought brake pads earlier in the year for all four corners, and bought a little more aggressive compound than what comes with the kit. I figured I had some time today so I went ahead and changed the front ones. I'm going to use the more aggressive pads on the rear too instead of the pads it comes with. Although, while I had the front tires off, I noticed one of them is weather checked/dry rotted real bad in the tread. The other one is fine, but I'm not real excited about going 107 mph on that tire now that I know how it looks. So now I've got two new front tires ordered.
Changed the oil in my dually yesterday. That was a $200 oil change. 4 gallons of synthetic oil at 27 bucks each + a $36 filter + a $45 bottle of Archoil additive adds up in a hurry.
This racing shit is AWESOME! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:02 pm 

That reminds me, I need to call about getting the brakes done on the F-350. Dealer I use thinks $100/axle plus parts. Need to confirm because I'll pay that easy. It's getting where it chatters bad with the trailer on the tail end. "Bloody Saturday" - replaced the driver's side window motor. You bleed doing that, no mater what. Inside of the door skin has stamping plant leftover razors in it.

Bracket Finals - I heard me made 6th place, so down one from last year. (6 out of 9). Lost half the team in the first round. Lots of our folks went deep in the gamblers on Friday and one of our footbrake guys won the Sunday gamblers. But in the team race, we generally sucked. We did manage to have like 3 left when it got down to 11 cars, but no winners. 6th ain't last, so we'll take it. Nevermind that I heard No Problem and Alien City only brought one car each. I think only Houston and Ardmore had full 60 car teams with alternates. We had like 48 on the list and 6 dropped out before anyone left town. I had to drop because of work - and ended up having a, infected tooth pulled on Thursday when we'd be pulling to Ennis. Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:19 pm 

Nothing is ever easy for me.

New front tires showed up yesterday. First thing I noticed, they were 25" instead of 26" like the Hoosiers I have on the front of the car. Crap, they must have sent the wrong ones. I pull up the order, nope, my dumbass ordered the wrong ones. Screw it, I want to go racing Saturday with my car, I'll keep them. I'm probably going to have to take a jack along now to get the nose of the trailer even farther in the air as I just dont have any ground clearance under my car, and losing another half inch might become an issue. Might have to put a touch of time in the box as well, but screw it, they're new and dont have big cracks in the tread.

I got the rear brake kit installed Tuesday, got it all bled Wednesday, and decided I didnt like how the pedal felt so we bled them again tonight. I found one front bleeder that had some air behind it. They feel a lot better now. I'm happy with that. The better half dropped the new tires off at the tire shop this morning, so I swung by there on the way home from work and picked them up. I stuck the first one up on there, got all the lug nuts on, started to tight them down and saw a bad spot on the sidewall. I mean, a 1/4" by 1/2" flaw where the steel chords are showing thru a flaw in the rubber. Yep, I'm not gonna run that. Go in the house, call Summit, and figured since I really wanted a different size anyways, I might as well send both back. Oops, they wont take them back if they've been mounted unless there is a manufacturing defect. So I'm stuck with the short tires. They are going to send a replacement for the bad one.

But I still want to run my car this weekend, so, I unloaded the better half's car, and pulled the front tires off it to put on mine for this weekend. It has 26" front tires on it, so they are the same size as the ones I took off.
Seriously though, can anything ever go smoothly just once?

I couldn't put my return spring bracket on the new carb, so I fashioned up a different return spring set up using different springs, and I am not happy with how stiff the pedal is now. I may pull one spring off once I get there if I decide it's not going to work for me being that stiff. It does seem like it's going to go on the chip fairly clean though. It's not as crisp as the borrowed dominator was, but it's light years better than my BG was.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:40 am 

The car was stupid good yesterday. The driver was just stupid. LOL
The driver let the car down in the fourth round. Gonna go back and try it again today. That wasnt originally the plan going in to this weekend, but the car is running too well to let it sit right now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 61  Next