www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:42 pm 

It runs again. I fattened it up a bit and now it builds heat like a normal alcohol carbed motor. And I even leaned out the idle mixture screws a touch first.
Now if my replacement tire will ever show up, I'll be ready to go racing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:18 pm 

Good news!

I pull the axle out of the dragster this weekend and don't see anything particular. The o-ring looks good and the outer seal seems intact. It's a combo type bearing so I need to measure then maybe order a couple from Strange. It's a weird setup to me - apparently its a "9 inch" but the use Olds brake offset. Olds and big Ford ends have the same bolt locations but way different offset. I may just smear a bit of RTV on the o-ring and re-assemble, then keep an eye on it to see if it leaks any fluid.

The Big Deal of the day is the F-150. Took it in to have the brakes done. They found the rear disks hot spotted, then they found why - the rear end seals were leaking. $875 to get her out of repair jail. Not going to be buying any parts for a couple of months. Ouch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:21 pm 

Falcon67 wrote:
I may just smear a bit of RTV on the o-ring and re-assemble, then keep an eye on it to see if it leaks any fluid.

That's what I did. So far so good, but it only has 11 passes on it and a couple of warm ups from driving around.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 am 

Heard back from Strange - Their A1021 bearings are the current replacement. I think I'll get a pair and maybe change both ends over winter service. Only 4 potential days of racing left in the year now, so a smear and some runs will work for now.

The bummer is that my S- Series brake calipers are well past end of life and discontinued. So may need to budget for updates next year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:06 pm 

There's a race this weekend I plan on running, then the big, 3 day, all door car race in November. After that there is a race Thanksgiving weekend, but I'm not committed to running it, nor really intending too at this point. So there is 4 for sure, maybe 7 days of racing left.

I knew when I had the head and intake off, I had got some crap in the lifter valley. I figured I would let it run awhile then change the oil filter. When I pulled the filter off, the oil looked horrible. So off to town I went to buy some new oil, and a different brand than what I had been running. The last two times I changed it with that oil, it looked terrible. I'm thinking it wasnt happy with the alcohol. I even dumped some in a jug, left it in the sun for a week (when it was upper 90's every day), then dumped a little and it looked just as bad as it did when I dumped it out of the motor. A lot of oils the water and alchy will separate or even evaporate out of the oil when you do that, but not this stuff.

To recap for the upcoming weekend; half inch shorter front tires, new oil change, fattened the carb up (went from .158 to .172), and tightened the lash up a touch (I realized they were all at .022 and the card calls for .016/.018, so I set them all at .018.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:18 pm 

Gday Rob,
What size carb is it, older school apd or one of the new billet ones?
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:46 pm 

1040 Billet Enforcer. Brand freakin new.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:54 pm 

Now thats flash!☺

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:16 am 

Danger on the horizon - picked up a NX Systems nitrous kit from a friend yesterday. 10 lb bottle, heater with pressure control, solenoids, carb plate. purge valve. Door car - 10.5:1, 100 shot, pull 2 degrees, let 'er eat. For those "street car" Friday nights. Maybe, might also blow through the converter too. I'd not go over 100~125 on this motor anyway because it's not set up for it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:23 pm 

That turned out exactly how I should have expected. First pass, just past half track, it blew the other head gasket.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next