www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:40 pm 

What gaskets are you using?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:46 pm 

Edelbrock. We are pretty sure this one was damaged from it being so lean when the other one popped.

At this point, I'm just ready to get rid of all of it; the car, all my cleveland junk, all of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:10 pm 

kv racing wrote:
Edelbrock. We are pretty sure this one was damaged from it being so lean when the other one popped.

At this point, I'm just ready to get rid of all of it; the car, all my cleveland junk, all of it.

I don't understand if you were in there why the hell didn't you change both head gaskets at the same time. Some times I think you're your own worst enemy. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:35 pm 

You're right, I am. And obviously I'm not much of a mechanic either. Just more reasons to sell the fuckin money pit.
But I'll tell ya, changing the headgaskets on a cleveland in a mustang with the stock front suspension (shock towers), flat out sucks. There are literally two bolts you can not put a torque wrench on. And I'm getting too damned old to be lifting a fifty plus pound chunk of iron out of an engine bay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:49 pm 

kv racing wrote:
You're right, I am. And obviously I'm not much of a mechanic either. Just more reasons to sell the fuckin money pit.
But I'll tell ya, changing the headgaskets on a cleveland in a mustang with the stock front suspension (shock towers), flat out sucks. There are literally two bolts you can not put a torque wrench on. And I'm getting too damned old to be lifting a fifty plus pound chunk of iron out of an engine bay.

I hear ya. I know what you are going through. I pulled the heads off my cleveland in a '67 Mustang and I know about the bolts being hard to get at. I ended up having to use a 3/8 drive ratchet with a pipe on it to get two bolts out. Yup broke the ratchet doing it. I guess you have to remove the motor mount bolt on one side and tilt the engine up to get a torque wrench on them when going back together. Passenger side not to bad driver side ( I have hydo boost) power brakes so no room. Frustrating for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:52 am 

kv racing wrote:

If you are popping head gaskets on a 351C you have bigger problem, been running 14.5 to 1 on alcohol for 30 years and never had a gasket blow. I've even re-used the felpro gaskets with no problems. 9.03 @ 149 mph 1.23 60'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:22 am 

I can only scrape together about $20 right now, so I'm out of the big sale. Usually the Ed stuff is pretty good, so I think you are right that the lean out hurt both sides. As a shock tower car owner, I won't do anything more than change the carb, plugs and maybe set the valves with the motor in the car. Anything else, it's coming out. I'm debating updating the head gaskets this winter. Dragster is losing a bit of water each race. I modified the catch can to try and make it more of a recovery setup but a bit of water is going somewhere. Could be getting just pulled out of the can vent at speed, but hard to know exactly. Or, we could be in the beginning stages of losing the block.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:10 pm 

Boss34ford wrote:
If you are popping head gaskets on a 351C you have bigger problem, been running 14.5 to 1 on alcohol for 30 years and never had a gasket blow. I've even re-used the felpro gaskets with no problems. 9.03 @ 149 mph 1.23 60'

In 30 yrs this is the first time I've ever popped one too. Re-used gaskets, new cheap gaskets, 12-1, 13-1, 15-1, never blown one until I put this carb on and was too lean out of the box.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:28 am 

Gonna take the better half's car to test n tune tonight. They are also running a gambler's race. Original plan was for her to drive, but she had an MRI Wednesday and they found she has a bulging disc in her neck, so she's not real excited about driving the car right now. We figure this will at least give me a little more seat time in her car before the big door car race. Even if I happen to get froggy and decide to fix my car before then, I still plan on taking hers and running it the first day of the race as well as mine. And that's simply so when mine breaks I still have a car I can run.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:09 am 

The car runs good, but the track was shit. It wasnt good to start with, then they waited until after 8:00 to start the gambler's race and the track had gotten cold and even more slick. I made a pass about 20 to 8, and the car was spinning the tires so hard after half track it slowed down a tenth. Now mind you, this is a mid 6.40 car with 32x15's on it. There was one guy there with a chassis car that runs 5.40's, and after the sun went down he never made it past half track. I made that last pass, came back and stuck it right on the trailer.

I dont know what to do for that door car race now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 592 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60  Next