www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:46 pm 

Falcon67 wrote:
LOL - our F150 is red and it's still red after 15 years.

Here's proof single stage paint sucks. My 93 Lightning is red. In 93 everything was single stage, not base coat clear coat. Before I bought the truck, it had one side of the box repainted, one front fender, the top of one front fender, and the hood with base coat clear coat. All those things are still bright red, the rest of the truck is not necessarily pink, but it's not red either. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:44 pm 

Brent, I had the same experience when I bought my 2003 Ram Hemi. '03 Was the return of the Hemi and I got the LoneStar 4 door 20 inch wheels- only 17 miles on it -$30,000- $383 per month. Ford had a 2003 that had the 5.4 Triton with the little swing door cab junk and 17 inch wheels. Ford would not go below $32,000 and payments were over $400 a month. I still have my truck and thats what I use to pull my car. Everything is still original except I put 2006 20's on it.

kv racing
I see no point in buying a Ford diesel and then having to pull the motor to put new head studs in to try and make it reliable. You cant beat a Cummins. Proof in the pudding , that's why most F450 and larger have Cummins in them. You cant deny the great sound of the Tractor inline 6 sound and I would rather be Cummin than Strokin. That's a joke and if people don't know what I'm talking about, Dodge (Cummins) Ford (Strokin) referance to the Powerstroke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:51 pm 

And who the hell designs an engine you have to pull the motor or pull the cab off to change the cam because you have to pull the cam from the back of the engine??? Yup, Ford with their 6.0 , 6.4 and 6.7. All junk. Oh and yes, these Ford engines are also known to have rocker arm failure and eat cams. Just saying. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:54 am 

> then having to pull the motor to put new head studs in to try and make it reliable.
That was the 6.0. They have moved on from that. Any trucks that have been fixed like KBs are excellent truck by all accounts. Prices on the 6.0s are about 20K cheaper than the others because of that stigma. Lots of guys are buying used 6.0s, doing head gaskets/ARP studs, EGR delete and oil system/injector cleanup and driving the heck out of them. My machinist said the early 6.7s had some exhaust valve issues partially due to regen and such, but that has all been fixed by Ford and he doesn't see too many 6.7L heads these days. If the diesels suck so much, why are there no gas trucks on dealer lots anywhere in Texas? Nor in the parking lots, none owned by any Ford friends, etc. I may well have the only 350 gas crew cab DRW that isn't a full stripper/fleet truck anywhere in the state. The 7.3s that the local dealer just got are all 250s.

>and who the hell designs an engine you have to pull the motor or pull the cab off to change the cam because you have to pull the cam from the back of the engine???
Doesn't matter, any engine work and maybe trans work on the trucks - gas or diesel - Mustangs, etc the dealers typically pull the body off the chassis. My Master Ford Tech friend says it way faster and easier, plus gives full access to everything. The rate books are written for that operation from what I understand. Pretty sure GM is the same way. I typically use the Lincoln/Mazda dealer for service and last time there was a Mazda with the body up on the lift and the FWD subframe sitting on the floor under it. I'll ask Jimmy next time I'm over there if they (dealer) even own a cherry picker.

Placed order for the truck yesterday - $53,905 and no/100s dollars. 6~8 weeks delivery, more or less.

Paint - our 1993 F-350 still wears all it's original white paint.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:30 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
And who the hell designs an engine you have to pull the motor or pull the cab off to change the cam because you have to pull the cam from the back of the engine??? Yup, Ford with their 6.0 , 6.4 and 6.7. All junk. Oh and yes, these Ford engines are also known to have rocker arm failure and eat cams. Just saying. :D

I hate to break it to you, but dodge/cummins made that switch back when they went to the 6.7 around 2008.

I think all the commercial isb cummins stuff is rear gear after 2003.

Raising the cabs is easier then yanking the engine with a cherry picker. That's how the factory installs them when they're built.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:02 pm 

Falcon67 wrote:
Pretty sure GM is the same way. I typically use the Lincoln/Mazda dealer for service and last time there was a Mazda with the body up on the lift and the FWD subframe sitting on the floor under it.

To do heads and cam on a 90's up F body we always dropped the subframe out with the motor still sitting in it. It was way faster than trying to swap heads with the motor sitting in the car.

I stand by my statement; You couldnt give me one of those POS Ram pickups.
Some people like Dodge, some like Ford, some even like GM, and some people are just idiots. I mean seriously, look at all of us. Here we are screwin around with a 50 yr old engine that was only in production for 5 years. How damned stupid are we? LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:56 pm 

kv racing wrote:
How damned stupid are we? LOL

Can't speak for the rest of you, but I sure feel dumb some days LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:30 pm 

May be different with trucks, but when I special ordered a 2012 Mustang GT it took ten weeks to get it.

I wish you good luck and good times with your purchase!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:34 pm 

kv racing
lol, how dumb are we. We are only considered dumb because the aftermarket didnt help us till 8-10 years ago. Its ok, people can talk their talk. I know one thing, I have beat more LS and Big Block Chevy cars street and strip than have beat me.. Mine is not the fastest but its surly not the slowest :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:32 am 

DeathWobble wrote:
May be different with trucks, but when I special ordered a 2012 Mustang GT it took ten weeks to get it.

I wish you good luck and good times with your purchase!

When I ordered my Trans Am in 1979, it took 3 months thanks to a strike. And the build quality was...typical for late 70s LOL. Funny, that car was Mayan Red with a Camel Tan interior. The new truck is Race Red with a Light Camel interior. Coming full circle here after 40 years. No T-Tops though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 100  Next