www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:18 pm 

Part of it sure sounds like it is leaking water internally, but more symptoms say it isn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:30 pm 

Forgot to mention that oil pressure was normal after the pass. Will pull plugs tomorrow and look. I hose it down with spray oil when shutting down, so may not tell me much.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:17 am 

Slept on it,went out again this morning at looked at the filter element real good - I don't see much. No real "metal", just a flake here and there. A few of the flakes look like brass, so that would be from the distributor gear. Which - I will check later. However, I think I found the "laid down at the gear change" issue. Went to pump down the cell and it took a couple of minutes to get like a gallon, which was all that was left in there. Went to pull the filter off the tank and the fittings between the tank and filter were all loose, not even hand tight. Pretty easy to suck air like that.

Also, I talked to a couple of other racers and all said "yea, we were draining water out every pass this weekend" so the water issue is probably just the vacuum pump doing it's work. I'll still go back into the carb as a check.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:36 pm 

Sounds like a promising lead. At least you dont have to pull the bearings out now.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:54 am 

Lost internet for two days - sucks LOL. Grandson was about to explode without his Fortnite connection.

I plan to just put fresh oil in it, check the pressure, clean the carb good to make sure one of the seats isn't leaking - may need some parts - and run it.

for the door carer - we have a "nostalgia" race coming up on June 13. The Falcon should fit in the 7.69 index, normally running right around that, maybe 66~68. Need to get the pump on there and test the alternator mounting (finally finished) so I can haul it to the track on 6/6 for the Test-N-Tune to work out the tunnel ram setup.

The new F-3560 was at the dealer for a week for the warranty engine change. Took them a while because nobody had done the 7.3L change yet and apparently it's pretty complicated. That and the main tech wanted to take his time, which was fine with us. We had a bit of comic/frustration action with it still. Picked it up Wednesday from the dealer, drove it home, no problem. Went to the store and when my wife got out and shut the door, the truck shut off. Dash lit up with every error the PCM could find to display. Could not get it to start, so called the service manager - who had given me in personal cell. Pulled the main connectors to the PCM and re-seated, truck started. But only for about a minute. So they sent a roll back and the SM and his wife drove 20 miles to pick us up and take us home. They went back over every ground wire and checked all connectors again. Call came today that after a couple of test drives over rough terrain (like the unmended potholed streets around here) no problems. So we'll pick it up tonight and see how it goes. Being a tech guy, not surprised there could be some issues for sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:04 am 

What's wrong with the engine that they had to change it? I haven't seen any recalls for the 7.3 engine yet.

Your shutting off sporadically sounds like an electrical issue to me. It sounds like they're willing to go the mile to fix it though.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 am 

Ford recall. Look for Field Service Action Number 20B15 "Piston cooling jet bracket incorrect installation" issued 2/24/2020. 25 VINs listed, ours was #24. We picked up the truck on 2/24, were probably driving away while the field notice was coming out on the fax machine at the dealer.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 pm 

Thats just bad luck on the truck. But at least the dealer seems more than helpful in trying to remedy it.

Good luck on the racing. I have no idea what the hell is going on around here any more. Lyin Roy (our dictator in charge), moved us into phase two opening, but made the guidelines so confusing no one knows if they can or cant open. Several small businesses are now allowed to open but only because they did or were threatening to sue the state. And then he put such harsh guidelines on what they have to do, several have said they still cant open because he has made it impossible for them to adhere to the guidelines based on the size of their business.
There have been a couple of tracks racing the last two weeks, but I'm not sure if that is because they actually can, or just havent been told not to yet. There have been a couple of county sherrif's that have said they are no longer going to enforce any of the orders. One track I run has said they are racing next weekend regardless. Another one has said they dont know what is going on and according to what they are being told they cant have more than 25 people on the grounds at a time. Although as of Monday they were being told by the state government they were going to be allowed to run with X amount of people per footage and with some restrictions in place. Given the size of the property, that meant they could have 2100 people on the property. Then Wednesday Lyin Roy pulled the rug out from under them.
This whole thing is a fucking disaster and he's simply playing politics now.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:50 am 

Ok, this is dangerous, but I've been thinking. My old BG carb has bowl extensions for more capacity. It also has jet extensions in the rear. However, they are a normal length jet extension. I am thinking that IF the bowls start to run low at all, the jets are not able to reach the fuel that may be against the back wall of the bowl, which then makes the bowl extensions basically worthless. My thought is, I want to find some brass tubing about the same inside diameter as the outside of the jets, and fashion a press-on extension to allow the jets to reach back to where the fuel is. I figure it wont need to reach clear back under the float, but at least to where the bowl attaches to the bowl extension. I figure if I can find some tubing just a hair smaller inner diameter, I can open it up just enough to make it fit with either a rat tail file, or probably even better, some real fine sand paper rolled around a chainsaw file and be able to tap it on.
Because at this point, if my APD doesnt act right first pass, it's coming off for my second time run and the BG is going back on and I want to make sure it's "right".

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:24 pm 

Or, I can just order another $6 set of jet extensions for it and double the length. :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next