www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: Racing
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:34 pm 

Make 'em, I think you could be on to something. I did my chores today LOL and about to go out in the shop and try to get all the parts back on the right cars.

COVID Racing Team - The lid is pretty much off here. I'm not always on the same page with Gov. Abbott but I will say I think he did a reasonable job of walking the line, working the lock down and moving out of it with pretty clearly defined orders. Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick can just go dig a hole and jump in it. Locally, it was a bit more unsure - Weekly conversations with the Abilene city manager were required because the track sits inside the city limits. We were limited to 3 track crew and 7 persons until the Governor's order expired earlier in the month. We encourage social distancing, but here among racers it's pretty much whatever. The TnT on 5/9 went off without a hitch, no complaints that I heard about. In the lanes last weekend, it was normal - we're in the cars and about the only people close to the drivers are family or the usuals. Golf carts were a different matter LOL. We had more spectators than normal, as about the only game on in town. People seems to stay with their herd well enough. I handled probably 20 phones in the Winner's Circle taking pics for people while taking our track page pics. Yes, I'd slink off to hand wash as soon as that group moved on LOL. With the current CDC notes about surfaces and what I've read about the half life outside, exposed I'm not too concerned. Just not going into any buildings or sitting in a crowd. Got some yard stuff today at Home Depot, just pulled up, called in and they put it in the truck. Easy-peazy.

On the truck - went to store, got gas, went home, drive 20 miles to town, had a nice lunch under the trees in the Canes parking lot (drive thru open! said the sign), considered going into Northern Tool, passed, went to HD for the stuff, then home. Zero problems. Think it's nailed down. The service manager is ex-Marine, so he's no BS. When they came to pick us up and save our ice cream, there was a lady in a Honda mini van that came up to ask if we had jumper cables. She had bought 4 tubs of ice cream and the car wouldn't start. Dale told her as soon as he got us home, he would go back and help her. On the way, he called Abilene Wrecker (coming to get the truck) and told them to check out the mini van and if it needed a jump, put it on his bill. I know Cody that runs Abilene Wrecker, they would get her going for nothing anyway. As far as I know, she got going. Just people.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:02 pm 

Ok, just one partially off topic post on the current state of the plague in NC.
Here's something else not many people know. I know NC reports cases this way and some other states have started following suit to inflate their numbers. Before anyone questions, we have multiple friends that are nurses at different hospitals, and a coworker's wife is a fairly big wig at another hospital, and all have confirmed this as true.
When a person gets tested in NC and are found to be positive, that is one case. That same person gets tested a week later to see if the virus is still active, if they come up positive, that is now two cases. Week three, still positive, case 3. And on and on until they test negative. One person can easily account for as many as 4 or 5 "cases" all by themselves. If 500 people all tested positive 4 times each, that means 2000 cases were reported. 1000 people tested three times, 3000 cases. Talk about a scam.

So we already knew death rates had been inflated (practically everyone dying is being counted as china virus death regardless of what they died from), and now we find the number of cases is also inflated. At this point we have NO IDEA how many people have it, nor how many have died from it. We know some have on both accounts, but we also know it's not near as many as is falsely being reported. And the numbers are being falsely inflated to keep people scared and compliant. There is really no other reason for it.

Lyin Roy has already said if things start to get bad, he will either extend phase 2, or move us back in to phase 1 and close businesses again. If that happens, it might get violent. People here have had enough and some businesses that were on the "excluded" list have started opening anyways.
Part of the reason for him wanting to drag this out is two fold. One, he wants mail in voting. Too bad for him that proposal got shot down unanimously last week. I have no doubts he will throw a fit and "punish" the state in the next couple of weeks for that. Two, the GOP national conventions is supposed to be held in Charlotte in mid August and he has already said he doesn't want it to happen because "it wouldn't be a good idea."

Now back to the racing.
Looks like another one of my "home" tracks (Farmington) is racing next saturday (the track 80 miles from the driveway.) They announced today all classes will be running, but no spectators will be allowed. Each racer will be allowed to bring a couple of crewmen with them.
Roxboro has also said they are racing, but spectators will be allowed. That's probably where I will go even though the track isnt as nice, but it is 45 minutes from home as opposed to an hour and a half. The sunday track (Piedmont), is still trying to figure out what they can and cant do. I really like that track as it is the nicest track in the area, but I think the sheriff is probably the strictest of the bunch. So who knows if they can race next weekend or not.
One roundy round track the county next to us had announced they were racing this weekend regardless of what the tyrant said. The attorney general in the county said he looked the phase 2 orders over and determined it was unconstitutional. The sheriff had said he also considered the orders unconstitutional and he had taken an oath to defend the constitution so he was no longer going to enforce any of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:01 am 

Holy crap! People are sure itching to go racing around here. Rockingham runs a three day race every Memorial weekend. This year they had to cut it to "two" days due to the number of entries and combine today's and tomorrow's purse. They are going to start today's race, and finish it tomorrow. There are 712 entries on the property!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 am 

"Pent up demand". People ready to get out. We were, but keep your distance LOL.

Covid notes - apparently some state health agencies have been including antibody results in with positives. Georgia backed out 57,000 after they got called out on it. Some other state is counting a positive if tested at a test site, but not counting a positive if tested in a hospital. The deaths around here is a total of 5. The med people I know say "Um, yea." So it's all over. Certainly conflating the numbers doesn't help the public process the seriousness involved. That doesn't take away from the fact that anyone can be a carrier and be asymptomatic while potentially infecting an average of 2~6 others. (R-naught - basic reproductive number - is 1.9-5.7 with this thing). From reading - Hepatitis C is R2, Ebola R2, Seasonal Flu 0.9-2.1, SARS 0.19-1.08, Mumps R10-12, Measles R12-18 which points to why mumps and measles vaccine should not be an opt-out, in order to maintain "herd immunity" in the population. RE: Measles outbreak last year at Disney. Until there is a vaccine, anybody is a potential victim in some way. It remains to be seen how this weekend plays out, plenty of "test beds" in about every state where people got together and took no precautions. Take a couple of weeks to play out.

Back to racing - I have more worm clamps on order, if anyone has a decent idea about how to keep a tach mounted in a flat panel when the tach has no external mounting options, I'd be interested. The plan right now is to hold it in the hold, wrap the back side with self-stick vinyl tape or self-vulcanizing electrical tape, then trap it behind the panel with a worm clamp. Regular electrical tape and a worm clap isn't working and it gets old pushing the tach back in the dash after a run LOL. I may try making a couple of little "feet" to press against the dash and worm clamp that also.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:20 am 

I've seen a couple of studies that are saying an asymptomatic person is not contagious and there is no proof they can give it to anyone. As well as studies now saying you cant catch from surfaces, and someone can not catch it twice.
I still think this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion by the media and local governments wanting to keep people scared and compliant even after they realized it was not the second coming of the Spanish flu.

Our long range forecast already looks like crap. Supposed to rain tomorrow thru saturday at this point. Given we are almost 5 inches above normal for the month, I'm not sure how much more rain the ground can hold before it becomes an issue of seeping up thru the cracks non stop.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:03 pm 

LOL - rain this week, which is fine because I'm trying to save a full pallet - $300 worth - of St Augustine grass I laid. Watered the hell out of it and it looked dead for a week. Starting to green in spots now thanks to the wet. Long range for the TnT is hot, 96 or better. But - we run those on Saturday night, so not too bad. We're above normal on rain, so it's an unusual year. We could stand not to have a drought on top of the pandemic and oil field crash. West Texas and Oklahoma are on the rocks in a big way. We had a good turnout at the last race, but it was notable that the "lower end" concrete pits with rental power where the big rigs park was about half normal fill.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:39 am 

50% chance of rain on Saturday (or 30% depending on what site you look at), and only 10% on Sunday. Around here, if it's warm, there is at least a 10% chance even if there isnt a cloud in the sky.
I'm planning on going Sunday for sure, Saturday is still kind of up in the air. I just hope there arent 300 cars there for a normal points race.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:01 pm 

I spent the 7 bucks for another set of jet extensions. Why not right? It came with another bowl gasket, so that was worth a buck or two buy itself.
I put them on and now the jets sit back where they would have normally sat with jet extensions without the bowl extensions. The only problem with that was, this carb did not have a notched float in the back to clear jet extensions. So, I pulled the bowl off a carb that was sitting on the shelf that had a clearanced float, swapped the accelerator pump diaphragm and needle/seat, and stuck that bowl on. I dont know if it will make a tiddly diddly darn bit of difference, but I feel better about it now. LOL

Oh, and I was wrong, the saturday track close to home is NOT racing this weekend. Man, I could have sworn they were. So now I need to decide if I want to drive 80 miles to go to the one that is running, then sunday go to the track 40 minutes from home. I am going Sunday, that's for sure. I just need to decide if I want to drive that far to go saturday as well. If they were the only ones racing, yeah, I would be there. But since I know I'm going sunday, I'm kind of unsure about going.
A coworker who bought a car two years ago is going sunday, and it's going to be his first time there. He's just getting back in to racing after about a 30 year hiatus. He bought more racecar than he needed. He originally raced an old camaro that had a 4 speed in it, ran mid-upper 7s. Well, he bought vega with a BBC in it that has gone 5.40s in good air. He has it slowed down to 5.80s right now, but good lord, that's a big difference. And it's a Top car, so he's still trying to learn the delay box as well.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:44 pm 

Your coworker has his hands full with that. Been there as you well know. Jumped right from 8.10s to 5.80s LOL. I had one pass in a rail at 6.08, and that one was a 19" cage and I had to hold my breath the entire run until I could dump the belts LOL. The 3rd pass in the dragster was a 3/4 lift, when I got the ticket with a 5.96 it was "You done stepped in it now." I'd guess 30 or so passes before I got where I could tell what was going on while passing the tree. Old slow door car brain was having trouble kicking in until I was past the 330. Kid bought a friends dragster - really nice car - came by my pit last year. Gave him a bit of advice, still haven't seen the car. And I know the car was turn key, well kept. All it needed was fuel and a driver.

Hope your extensions work. Track posted that there is a paid session tomorrow for one lane, 11-4. 4 slots open. Likely $250 for the slot, but I can wait until 6/6. We changed the schedule again. TnT is 6/6, then 6/13 was a Nostalgia index/super stock type race. We added a Friday TnT to that deal, then the next weekend after is a friday/sat/sun deal. So June just got full up. Good thing is that I can load the dragster and test on 6/6, then put the Falcon in the box for the 6/12,13 race and test the tunnel ram setup on Friday before the race. That gives me two weeks in case there is still an issue with the dragster, which I think there isn't. Other than me.

I might go out there tomorrow anyway, I need to load in the classes and indexes for the nostalgia race.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:02 am 

I'm hoping the ADP is corrected, or at least damn close to it. The extensions on the BG are for insurance purposes. LOL
If the ADP still makes too much EGT and burns all the plating off a new plug in one pass, it's coming off and the BG is going on for the second time run, and I'll run it the rest of the day.

Yeah, my buddy had to make a couple of passes in it before he got to where he wasn't lifting a little as soon as the transbrake released and it hit the tires. It's a good car and was well maintained. I dont know what he paid for it, but I'm sure it wasnt cheap. He drove to Illinois to buy the car. The fella that he bought it from had cancer and ended up dying about a little over a year after my buddy got the car from him. So it wasn't like he bought the car from someone that was burned out from fighting a bad car (like I'm getting).

I decided to stay home today. Too much stuff needs done around the house, and we got another 1.5" of rain the previous two days, so the ground is a mess. I'm hoping it will dry out at least a little before tomorrow so we dont have to worry about pitting around the mud. The weather lady said we are almost 6.5" above normal for the month now, so things are thoroughly soaked. Plus the finances took a hit yesterday; I had to put new tires on my 2016, and those damned things aint cheap.

I am looking forward to tomorrow though. I dont expect the car to be any quicker, it is what it is at this point until I do something about the heads, but I am hoping it will be more consistent and predictable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 817 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next