www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:20 am 

I can guarantee you could not use the turkey pan with any heads like the AFD units I run. No way it'll fit.

Funnelweb on AFD 4V heads, stock block.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:39 am 

Falcon67 wrote:
I can guarantee you could not use the turkey pan with any heads like the AFD units I run. No way it'll fit.

Funnelweb on AFD 4V heads, stock block.

Think it was discussed on a airgap style intake the pan is pointless with valley cover. Looks like you need thick gob of glue on end rails!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:22 pm 

LOL, not "air gap", it's raised intake ports. And the solution is a valley cover and not a 1/2" bead of RTV.

It gets way hot down here - nothing in summer to see 140F ground temp in the staging lanes. I block any heat crossovers with stainless shims and that's plenty. Aluminum conducts heat easily and there's no way IMHO a turkey pan makes any difference in manifold temps on a street engine with a hood. For a street build I block the crossovers and use a synthetic spacer. And in extreme conditions like the 10% enthanol we have here plus solid hood/no outside air ducting plus summer heat plus a Edelbrock carb, I'd put a heat shield below the spacer. On a factory cast iron intake with an Eddie carb, it's all of that - blocking, heat shield, spacer. Been there, run that, solved those issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:05 am 

Falcon

Then I guess my trusty Raytek temp gun was fooling me that day I tested the turkey pan vs no pan. I did this test in the same day. Both test were in 100 degree plus weather, remember im in North Dallas area so I know what your talking about with the heat. The reason I did the test was
1) i use to drive the car on the street more so any cooling advantage for the intake is a plus

2) When I got the turkey pan kit from O'Reilly Auto Parts, it came with some thin cheesy port gaskets so I was like what the hell will it hurt to test it....

Test included my 362C, Aussie 2v heads most likely 10.25 compression, box stock Weiand Xcellerator 2v intake with no spacer, BG 650 Speed Demon and it had Headman headers. All steel hood closed with the same factory Cougar live scoop. Took a couple hard blast up and down 377 , came back and measured the carb base plate. Carb base plate was 20 degrees cooler with the turkey pan. The intake runners were a little cooler too. I tested the "just gaskets" first cause I was already planning to keep the turkey pan and those are one time only torque.

So unless someone else does a similar test in the 100 degree temps, I know what i read from my Temp Gun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:59 am 

The Turkey pan on a dual plane factory style intake would help a ton no doubt about it. Ford engineers didn't do it to spend money they knew what was going on. If ford could've saved the 3 bucks it cost back then for tray it would've been left out. If your intake is raised like the one pictured above with valley cover well thats a no brainer!With near 200 degree oil hitting bottom of intake and temps associated with bottom end seems like a cheap hp savings to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:13 am 

The Weiand on my 362 is not a gap intake, it looks like this
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/w ... /overview/

Now my 359C has the TF intake and I know the turkey pan is not needed
https://www.summitracing.com/tx/parts/tfs-51600111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:05 pm 

I think the turkey pan debate has become a stalemate, I have used both, single plane just gaskets dual plane turkey pan. This what I did with my Funnel Web to use on my CHI heads. No need to make a valley cover just bolt it down and go.

Stupid computers won't change the picture orientation.

Attachments:
Funnel Web2.jpg [53.94 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:59 pm 

Good test. If it does help, then that's good. LOL, when we get back to racing I'll hit an intake runner with my gun. On methanol, I can cool a coke can on the intake. :)