www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:11 am 

I answered an Ad "408 Cleveland Stroker with Built C-4" The ad stated it was a fresh 408 stroker and bult up C-4 complete from carb to oil pan..included front access drives MSD box and coil, flat collector FOX Body headers aluminum driveshaft, trans mount, transmission cooler with remote filter and lines out of a Mustang Notch Back Drag Car....$2,500 Since Im sitting on an 86 Capri Sportstman Certified Rolling Chassis 8.5 ...I thought ......thats very attractive IF its legit

The seller shoots me a pic with the valve covers off and it has screw in studs, guide plates, stud girdle...etc etc.. He claims its a solid roller cam stroker but it sounds like the valves need to be adjusted. He is a Chevy guy and will be putting an LS in the Mustang
I drive the hour and half to the seller and find open chamber 2V heads on this thing.....check the stroke with a piece of welding rod and get 3.5 I tell him he needs to come down as I also found the C-4 Pump shaft was sheared off....which would explain someone parking a fresh set up.....he will not come off the 2500 figure..but..the ROMAC balancer and no weight on the flexplate make me think.....maybe its something......he ads 2 more c-4's a fuel cell some other minor parts
I load it up and drive home to start figuring out what I just purchased. Initial inspection reveals a solid roller cam with what appear to be Endura-X lifters...but 8.650 pushrods connected to 1.8 BBC Crane roller rockers that have ZERO clearance from the push rods when the valves are open. I think I purchased JUNK

Like the bad guy in Dirty Harry.....I gots to know.....so I pull the oil pan and 1 head and find a 4 bolt main block, a zero balance 4MA-B crank loaded with Mallory weights 6 inch ? CHEVY ? rods and what might be cut down TRW OC domed pistons...? Can someone please take a look at the pics and let me know if this a familiar combo that makes any sense

Attachments:
Rod 6 (480x640).jpg [171.94 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Counterweight (640x480).jpg [149.8 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Drivers valvetrain.jpeg
Drivers valvetrain.jpeg [ 202.52 KiB | Viewed 1381 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:45 am 

Additional pictures too see if anyone can help

Attachments:
Counter weight 2 (480x640).jpg [172.41 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Counter weight 3 (480x640).jpg [201.95 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
2V Heads (480x640).jpg [217.84 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 pm 

I can't really see the rod picture real well, but if you think it's a 6" rod, it could be an offset ground crankshaft, or just one turned down to SBC sizes. Pretty common. Looks like yours was internally balanced......not a good job obviously, but it was balanced.

BBC rockers are commonly interchanged (not correctly, but commonly) with Cleveland rockers because the dimensions and ratio are close to each other.

Could be a hydraulic camshaft.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:23 pm 

I pulled it down...solid roller with 8.650 in pushrods.....the shaft of the pushrod was gauging the fulcrum of the rocker arms....the rockers seemed to be sweeping Ok but are scrapped and gauged everywhere..
Any idea what these pistons might be. ? Other than TRW OC slugs modified ?

Attachments:
Domed Pistons (480x640).jpg [186.2 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:22 pm 

Not to be an ass but it looks like an experiment motor to me. The guy was like

"im gonna cut the heads like a Flat Head" "

"oops to far so let me wack the domes off the pistons"

"ok, now the exhaust valve just barely touches the piston- so perfect"

Chevy guys need to just stick with their X-brand stuff and leave the real toys to us Ford guys.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:23 am 

Mercinary wrote:
I pulled it down...solid roller with 8.650 in pushrods.....the shaft of the pushrod was gauging the fulcrum of the rocker arms....the rockers seemed to be sweeping Ok but are scrapped and gauged everywhere..
Any idea what these pistons might be. ? Other than TRW OC slugs modified ?

Pistons, top and bottom, do look like high compression forged TRW slugs. Nothing wrong with that given the ring lands are in good shape.

Can you check the bores to see if it's std., +.030, etc?

Pics of those gouged and scraped rockers?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:15 am 

Sounds like you bought someones thrown together mess of an attempt to hit 10s in the 1/4.

Glad you did your due diligence and didn't take the sellers word for it. I'm not sure if I would have bought at 2500, but to each their own.

I'd have told him all the stuff, offered him a grand, and then walked if he didn't take it. But I guess I'm just turned off by people trying to sell something they have no clue about. You see it often now with the age of the internet, "I saw something identical online and they got 5k for it"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm 

Can you tell if the pistons are still hitting the exhaust valve, or is that prior damage? I can put a motor together out of stuff I have sitting around that will be "right" when it's together, but someone pulling it down would think it was ready to come apart based off how beat up the pistons would be.
I dont know what pistons those are. I've had several sets of the domed TRW/Sealed Power/Speed Pro pistons, and those domes dont match. They dont even match the set of OC domed slugs I've used in the past. They're close, but around the plug is way different.
Are we sure they're chevy rods and not Windsor rods with Boss 302 pin height pistons? Just tossin ideas out off the top of my head. I would think unless the crank was offset ground that pistons meant for a stock stroke would be hanging way out of the hole with a rod that is .21" longer than stock.
Yeah, the internal balance job aint great, but I've seen way worse. Actually saw a shop one time that instead of using mallory literally welded a thick steel plate to the counter weight.
I would have to pull at least one rod to check the bearings to see how they look, and also pull a main cap to see how those look. Plus it would give you an idea how many times the crank has been turned.

Depending on what has actually been done to the transmission (I had well over a grand in my last C4) and what else you discover with the motor, I wouldnt say it was a horrible deal, but it sure wasnt as good as it started off sounding like it was going to be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:08 am 

Been thinking about this some more. If it is a standard stroke, is it possible it has Aussie rods in it and some oddball open chamber piston to match those rods?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:38 pm 

I assume it's a swap meet special...someone was going to swap meets, ebay or wherever to buy and use whatever pieces they could afford and that would 'work'. Could also be a spare engine built from used parts. You could make a few minor corrections and use as is or button it up and park in the corner as a spare. What are your performance goals with the Capri?

Div1Racer