www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 pm
Posts: 15
If you think it might be RF interference you can try some shielding tape or wrap from Amazon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 658
I'm still not free from the Sniper but today I uploaded a custom program from Mad Science Motorsports. Maybe my troubles will be over; we'll see what happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 658
This evening I cleaned the plugs and tried one last time to get the Sniper to run well enough to do something... I can't.

The final score; carburetor just dropped onto the engine with zero tuning 484. Sniper ZERO. Do not buy this product and the super duper tuneup was no better than anything else that I tried. 10 gallons of gas gone!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 pm
Posts: 15
I wanted one of these for the LS I want to put into the Skylark since I plan on road tripping it, but your experience has made me leery of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 am
Posts: 12
Its a shame the Sniper seems to be so troublesome, it seems a reasonably common trend online, disappointing that Holley was not able to help with this. The screen blanking and shooting ducks is pretty drastic. Maybe it is having the ecu integrated in the base unit itself. I had an MSD Atomic EFI on a 393cuin Pantera for a few years, 640hp on an engine dyno and that worked ok and did not have those issues. No special wiring, with timing control etc, it was mounted next to an MSD 6A and its coil right next to engine. Holley is very vocal about running separate battery and ground wires to the battery terminals. I know a lot of people like the Sniper or the FAST EFI systems but there do seem a number of issues which is why I went with the Holley Terminator Stealth for my next build. I will be running new battery and ground wires for that which is a pain with the battery at the other end of the car, grrr.
Dave, I can send you my MSD Atomic EFI if you want but I don't know if that will prove or help you any.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 658
bd8134 wrote:
Its a shame the Sniper seems to be so troublesome, it seems a reasonably common trend online, disappointing that Holley was not able to help with this. The screen blanking and shooting ducks is pretty drastic. Maybe it is having the ecu integrated in the base unit itself. I had an MSD Atomic EFI on a 393cuin Pantera for a few years, 640hp on an engine dyno and that worked ok and did not have those issues. No special wiring, with timing control etc, it was mounted next to an MSD 6A and its coil right next to engine. Holley is very vocal about running separate battery and ground wires to the battery terminals. I know a lot of people like the Sniper or the FAST EFI systems but there do seem a number of issues which is why I went with the Holley Terminator Stealth for my next build. I will be running new battery and ground wires for that which is a pain with the battery at the other end of the car, grrr.
Dave, I can send you my MSD Atomic EFI if you want but I don't know if that will prove or help you any.


Thanks but I think I'm done with EFI for now. The plan for this engine is to pull the distributor and reinstall the advance curve. Then start the engine using the carburetor and set the timing so that the total is 28 degrees(determined to be the best setting when running earlier with the carburetor) and let it go. The EFI expert wants to tune the Sniper with the engine in the car which from my experience should prove very interesting.

The real problem with this stuff and probably a lesson well learned is that I don't know if it was something that I was doing wrong or if there is something wrong with the EFI unit itself. I have a tough time believing that it is defective simply because the computer does start up and work. With that said yesterday evening I had it stop communicating with the PC through the USB cable. I had it do a similar thing before and at that time I thought it was a problem on my PC but maybe not. The system would still start and run just as terrible as ever so I'll never know for sure. I'll just be glad when the whole thing is gone.

Several years ago I had a terrible experience with a system from Electromotive. I spent about 3x as much time and used about 5x as much gas trying to get that crap to run before giving up and installing a carburetor. I even had an expert on that system spend an entire day here trying to get it to work and it didn't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am
Posts: 1079
Location: Texas
DaveMcLain

If I were to run fuel injection it would be a Holley Dominator or a Haltech.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 pm
Posts: 658
nova467spanker wrote:
DaveMcLain

If I were to run fuel injection it would be a Holley Dominator or a Haltech.


I've never looked at any of that stuff. Is it easier to just get it to run?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am
Posts: 1079
Location: Texas
DaveMcLain
Im not real sure man because I have never personally ran any of it. The Haltech is from Australia and its the most used over there.
https://youtu.be/gY5AEIR9uYU

As for a throttle body I would probably run something like this.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... ts/112-587

I meant to say the Holley Terminator set up and npt the Dominator lol. Probably this will be the better set up for what your doing. its rated 250-600 hp and is self learning.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... s/550-441K

The Holly Dominator system I believe is like the top of the line stuff that your friend will never need. Sorry for my wrong info. By the way this is like $9,000-$10,000

Matt


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 am
Posts: 12
bd8134 wrote:
The real problem with this stuff and probably a lesson well learned is that I don't know if it was something that I was doing wrong or if there is something wrong with the EFI unit itself. I have a tough time believing that it is defective simply because the computer does start up and work. With that said yesterday evening I had it stop communicating with the PC through the USB cable. I had it do a similar thing before and at that time I thought it was a problem on my PC but maybe not. The system would still start and run just as terrible as ever so I'll never know for sure.

There would be a huge outcry if this sort of issue was happening with a mainstream OEM config. The same reliability and dependability should be built in to any product a third party markets or it should not be sold. Maybe the unit is picking up noise or interference, but it should not be as fussy as that, better filtering should be built in if that is the issue. They should be pretty much plug and play and have some sort of diagnostics / logging available to trace issues.
None of these systems are intended to be complicated and should provide at least better drive-ability.
I am hoping I have better luck with my Holley Terminator, I bought the one with transmission control, https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/terminator_efi/terminator_stealth/terminator_stealth_transmission_control_kits/parts/550-443
This uses the same ecu as the Holley Dominator, different sticker, ~$200 extra. I am not using the transmission control, it has additional inputs like a 2nd O2, more inputs and outputs terminals for speed inputs, traction control, knock sensors, individual ignition coils, etc.
The Dominator software can be loaded on any of the Terminator ecu's but I like to "tinker" which is why I went with the bigger unit.
These ecu's do not like magnetic pickups used in MSD billet distributors, Sniper I believe does not have a good time with them either.
Not sure what distributor or wiring system you are using Dave. https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-pro-hangout/demystifying-holley-terminator-sniper-ignition-wiring
I had to purchase a Holley Dual Sync distributor but I have also played with setting up a crank sensor, these are hall effect.
I had no problem though with an MSD pro billet dizzy with the MSD Atomic efi.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group