www.the351cforum.com

ALL things related to the Ford 351C
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:00 pm 

machoneman wrote:
Hey, I love EFI too but to add same to my almost 500HP 351W in a 1970 Mustang requires way too many mods in my book. Heck, aside from the fuel tank and fuel line mods, one needs a modern alternator, bungs in the headers for EGT sensors, lots of underhood wiring (no electrician here), the EFI kit installed, an expert to install all that wiring and getting the car's base data set up and fired up. Then the learning curve for the computer. Jeesh, I'm tired just typing all this out.

Ah, and the real kicker is I've gained zero (yes, 0) horsepower and torque over my well setup (by me) 750 DP'er Holley. Sure, we all know the EFI benefits from otu daily drivers, as noted above. But, some things IMO are best left as is for weekend warriors and our never driven in the salty winter '60's-70's muscle cars. That's my line and I'm sticking to it.

They'll pry my Holley carb out of my cold d.... well .... you get it!

Hah!

The 393cuin in my Pantera had 640hp on an engine dyno. I never ran it with a carb so I can't compare.
I could start my car up, hot or cold and it would just idle great, 850 rpm, also no waiting for the engine to warm before driving.
I drove that car everywhere, Target, Home Depot, etc, it was my everyday car in the summer months.
I drove it to Mid Ohio racetrack for a Shelby convention. ~1,500 round trip with some quick laps on the track, ~20 mpg with a/c as an average for the complete trip. A couple of years ago I drove it to a Pantera meet in Canada / Detroit and that was ~1,500 miles also.
I like the technology.
It sounds like you have your Holley well tuned so little reason to mess with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:26 pm 

bd8134

Currently my 359 with an out of the box 750 Mighty Demon (pre Holley) made 520hp@6300 450tq@5600 on engine dyno. Now I know the way it is now, it falls in that Terminator kit perimeters i posted but I did have the ring gaps opened a little so a 100-150 shot might be in the future. And who's to say, Maybe down the road I can build a bigger more powerful engine. If i bought this kit, who wants to buy another later. You know what I mean?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:43 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
bd8134

Currently my 359 with an out of the box 750 Mighty Demon (pre Holley) made 520hp@6300 450tq@5600 on engine dyno. Now I know the way it is now, it falls in that Terminator kit perimeters i posted but I did have the ring gaps opened a little so a 100-150 shot might be in the future. And who's to say, Maybe down the road I can build a bigger more powerful engine. If i bought this kit, who wants to buy another later. You know what I mean?

All Holley EFI's can handle wet or dry nitrous. It can control retard if it is controlling ignition. This thread also mentions nitrous and also mentions increasing the fuel so the Terminator handles ~700hp as I mentioned before.
https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?10741-Terminator-with-Plate-N2O
If you got the Terminator and then wanted to use a rail type efi, the ecu can handle all that. I think the Dominator can control 16 injectors + multi-stage nitrous and much more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:03 pm 

bd8134

Interesting info man, thank you. You know, even if putting the fuel injection on made the same power, I can handle that. The trade off is better cold starts, less fuel in the oil and easier to target air fuel without spilling gas all over your engine changing jets. I was looking at the FITECH stuff too but they seem to have more hit n miss problems than Holley. Edelbrock is out of the question. Even though Vic started out with Flat Head parts, they are all GM. Hell even the Edelbrock valve cover gaskets i got from them leak. Company has over priced stuff in my book.
Gaskets https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7569/make/ford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:00 pm 

nova467spanker wrote:
bd8134

Interesting info man, thank you. You know, even if putting the fuel injection on made the same power, I can handle that. The trade off is better cold starts, less fuel in the oil and easier to target air fuel without spilling gas all over your engine changing jets. I was looking at the FITECH stuff too but they seem to have more hit n miss problems than Holley. Edelbrock is out of the question. Even though Vic started out with Flat Head parts, they are all GM. Hell even the Edelbrock valve cover gaskets i got from them leak. Company has over priced stuff in my book.
Gaskets https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7569/make/ford

Hey, I've loved EFI forever, on my one-owner gennie '88 5.0 fastaback Stang, many, many sedans ever since and now my fast as a demon 2018 Audi S5, 3.0 litre turbo v-6, 0-60 in 4.29 seconds! But, here's another ringer.

I haven't done so recently, but a few years back I did total up the estimated cost to convert my '70 'Stangs 351W (358 CID, DSS Racing engine, Canfield Stage II heads, roller, etc.) from the aforementioned 750DP Holley to EFI. Minimum $2,000 for zero performance gain for a warm weather only car! That $2K could get me a new 377-408-427 short block (well, maybe $2,500) that would give a big performance gain. No worry about cold starts, gassed down oil, etc. since it does not go out in cold, snowy, icy weather. So......sometimes IMO it's best to stay with near OEM stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:28 pm 

machoneman, I used to have an Audi 2.7 twin turbo that I chipped, it was nice. Your Audi most likely adjusts for the E20 gas that seems to coming and wont suffer from stale fuel. Changes in altitude are not a problem and will still get good gas mileage with all that performance. Maybe that is also of no interest to you and that is great. Adding EFI may not add any additional top end on a well tuned engine but should improve driveability.

nova467spanker, FYI. The Holley Terminator can handle 8 stages of nitrous.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:33 am 

bd8134 wrote:
machoneman, I used to have an Audi 2.7 twin turbo that I chipped, it was nice. Your Audi most likely adjusts for the E20 gas that seems to coming and wont suffer from stale fuel. Changes in altitude are not a problem and will still get good gas mileage with all that performance. Maybe that is also of no interest to you and that is great. Adding EFI may not add any additional top end on a well tuned engine but should improve driveability.

nova467spanker, FYI. The Holley Terminator can handle 8 stages of nitrous.

Here in flat as a pancake Illinois (and all 6 states surounding!) altituted is a zero issue. Lots of gas choices here including zero ethnaol if one seeks it out. E20 is not inevitbale yet here in IL, E10 is. Oddly, Iowa has lots of stations with zero ethnaol as does flatty Nebraska. Odd as both sell millions of tons of corn. Go figure.

Better $$$ spent would be somehow gettting the fabulous Audi/Porsche 8 speed auto tranny from my S5 into the '70 Mach 1! Much as I love my 5 speed Doug Nash designed, Richmond Gear stick tranny (great tans btw) the car would be even faster with the trick Audi tranny!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6